Skip to main content

Full text of "Early history of the Santee Club"

See other formats


3 5197 00143120 7 














of the 


^ J^^^/J-'^^/^ 

-"■^^^^/jc -viS^*^^'^ 

Limited Edition. Copy Number 



of the 



By Henry H. Carter 

Secretary in 1904 


J 3 '^ 




THE Santee Club of South Carolina was organized in 1898. The purpose 
of the Club was to "acquire tracts of land in South Carolina and to use 
and maintain the same as a private preserve for the benefit of its members 
for the purpose of hunting, fishing, yachting, health, rest and recreation." Also 
other purposes set forth in the printed constitution in the Club book. 

CAPT HucH R.Garden 





The Santee Club was promoted by Capt. Hugh R. Garden of New York. 
Capt. Garden was a native of Sumter, South Carolina. He was born about 
1838 and commanded a battalion of artillery on the Confederate side in the 
Civil War. Capt. Garden, before organizing the Club, acquired personally 
the following properties at Santee: 

Blake's Plantation, Ormond Hall, Little Murphy Island. 

He also leased the Fairfield plantation, about three miles northwest of the 
present Club House, on which there was a house suitable for a Club. He also 
acquired leases for shooting purposes on Big Murphy Island and Cedar Island. 
A fifty-foot steamboat called the Nakoma was also acquired by him to take 
members from the Club House to the various islands, a distance of about seven 


miles. Thus equipped, he cnHsted the following named men as original charter 


Hugh R. Garden, New York 

Thomas E. Richardson, Georgetown, S. C. 

H. E. Young, Charleston, S. C. 

Burton N. Harrison, New York 

James H. Parker, New York 

Thomas Pinckney, Charleston, S. C. 

H. M. Rutledge, Santee, S. C. 

J. W. Woolfolk, New York 

E. P. Alexander, Georgetown, S. C. 

George Gordon Battle, New York 

James Lindsay Gordon, New York 

Hugh R. Garden, New York 
E. C. Benedict, Greenwich, Conn. 
D. J. Carroll, New York 
John W. Cox, New York 
Isaac E. Emerson, Baltimore, Md. 

C. S. Hebard, Philadelphia, Pa. 

D. L. Hebard, Philadelphia, Pa. 
George Hoyt, New York 
Theodore Hoyt, New York 
Walter S. Hoyt, New York 
Clarence H. Mackey, New York 
Henry May, Washington, D. C. 
G. S. McAlpine, New York 
Robert Ober, Philadelphia, Pa. 
Andrew Simonds, Charleston, S. C. 
J. W. Woolfolk, New York 


Grover Cleveland, Washington, D. C. 

Capt. Thomas Pinckney, Charleston, S. C. 

There are no records of shooting or other doings of the Club for the three 

years from 1898 to 1900. An interesting story is to the effect that President 

Cleveland made several visits to the Club. He came by rail and lived on the 

U. S. Coast Survey boat, "Water Lily," commanded by Com. B. P. Lamberton, 

U. S. N. He was usually accompanied by Capt. Robley D. Evans, afterwards 

Admiral; Com. S. M. Ackley, U. S. N., and Com. E. C Benedict of the New 

i:arly history of the santee club 

York Yacht Club. President Cleveland had a blind in Black Point named 
after him. He also had a special wide skiff to take his 265 pounds up the 
canals to the ponds. Rumor has it that the crew and marines of the "Water 
Lily" were sent ashore to neighboring ponds with rifles to keep the ducks 
stirring. Reproduction of the original letter from President Cleveland to 
Mr. Beckman, Santee Club Superintendent, is shown below. 

ORK crpicc 

.. .. .....w .r SANTEE CLUB 

Santek, s. c 

^/^>-uf ^ 

^^.^ yiy^.y^ ^,,^. 

^ ~2i<x^^ 



The Santee Club passed through three years of strenuous existence. Dues 
(which were $125.00 per year) and charges, were insufficient to keep the 
Club solvent and bills were long unpaid; and in 1900 the Club seemed to be 
on its last legs. 

In the summer of 1900 Mr. E. D. Jordan, of Boston, met on a European 
steamer some member of the Santee Club (name unknown), who gave an 
enthusiastic description of the shooting and pleasures of the Santee Club, and 
suggested that Mr. Jordan become a member. Mr. Jordan was so impressed 
that he accepted the invitation and joined the club. In December, 1900, 
Mr. Jordan invited the following Bostonians to accompany him on his first 
visit to the Club for a week's shoot: — 

Francis Peabody, Jr. 

Henry E. Russell 

Gardner Perry 

Henry H. Carter 
Mr. Jordan knew very little about the Club but thought that tuxedoes would 
not be required at dinner, when asked for his opinion. The party arrived at 
Georgetown, S. C, via Lanes, in due time. Mr. Jordan, having written to the 
Club that he, with a party of four friends, would arrive by the morning train, 
expected to be met at the railroad station by some servant of the Club, and 
his friends rather expected the man to be in livery. No one from the Club 
showed up, so inquiry was made as to the whereabouts of the Santee Club 
boat. After much inquiry, it was learned that the boat was at C. L. Ford's 
wharf, to which the party drove with their luggage. The boat was there, all 
right, but no captain or crew, and no steam up. Mr. Ford finally located the 
captain at the latter's house and he shortly afterward turned up. He told 
Mr. Jordan he had received his letter telling him what time the party would 
arrive, but explained his failure to meet it by the statement that "mostly when 


JAM.- I900. 


the gentlemen wrote they would come at a ecrtain time, they failed to show up 
and so he had adopted the idea of waiting until they actually appeared before 
he got up steam and rounded up the crew." 

The Club boat (Gardenia) was like an old-fashioned Mississippi steamboat, 
about seventy-five feet long and twenty feet wide, with a large paddle-wheel 
at the stern. This gave her a speed of about five miles per hour under favorable 
conditions of current and wind. After stocking up the boat with provisions, 
a start was finally made, and at about 6.00 P. M. the boat reached the Club 
House at Fairfield, about three miles north of the present Club House. Coming 
out of Six Mile Creek into the South Santee River, Mr. Perry's dog fell over- 
board and as it was pitch dark he was supposed to be lost. On arriving at the 
Fairfield dock, Mr. Perry was warmly greeted by the dog who had swum 
to the river bank and then followed the boat. 

On arriving at the dock, which was m the last stages of decay, there was no 
light or sign of any building or person. Loud halloos finally brought an old 


1838 - \908. 


colored woman with a lantern who said she had the Club House keys and 
would show us in. On entering the house, it looked as if it had been unin- 
habited for at least a year. Dust was an inch thick. Window panes were 
broken, and leaky ceilings had tumbled the plaster from off the ceiling of the 
bedrooms onto the beds. The party was glad that no tuxedoes had been 
brought. It was evident that the house was uninhabitable, and the party went 
back to the boat, which was a very comfortable old trap, with good staterooms 
and comfortable beds. Also it was clean and attractive looking. 

Mr. Charles Mills, head guide of the Club, showed up and advised dropping 
seven miles down the river so as to be near the shooting grounds in the morn- 
ing. This was done, and the next morning the party went ashore at Cedar 
Island and shot in three ponds, two in a blind in two ponds, and a single 
man in the third. The shooting was very poor and Mr. Jordan was very discon- 
solate over the whole proceedings. The next morning the party went over to 
Little Murphy Island and shot in three ponds with the same poor result and 
mention was made of the advisability of starting for home. At about this stage 
of the game. Chief Guide Mills (who was stone deaf) spoke up and said that 
he was sorry the party were so disappointed with the shooting; that there were 
plenty of ducks in the vicinity, on Big Murphy Island, but as the rent of the 
island had not been paid for two years, no Santee Club man was allowed to 
shoot there. He thought we might be interested however to just see the ducks. 
The party accordingly went in the "Gardenia" down the river to opposite Black 
Point Pond. Going ashore in the skiffs and landing on the beach, the party 
was met by an armed guard named Pepper who ordered us off. Guide Mills 
explained the situation and said the gentlemen had seen no ducks and did not 
believe there were any in the country and he just wanted to give them a view 
of the ducks. Pepper agreed we could see them but on no account to make 
any noise to disturb them, and we all crawled up the beach to its crest. We 
carefully peeked over the crest and the water surface of what creeks we could 
see was black with ducks. Guide Mills, who had brought his paddle on shore, 
dropped it accidentally (.'') on a log. The nearest ducks arose with a roar and 
the scare was communicated to all the ducks in Black Point Marsh. It is no 
exaggeration to state there were several hundred thousand. None of us, although 
we had shot in North Dakota, North Carolina, Texas, etc., had ever seen such 
a sight. An endeavor was at once made to bribe Watchman Pepper, but he was 
honest (we afterwards found out he was crazy), and he ordered us back to 
our boat. We found the island was owned by Mr. Lucas of Charleston, and 
Mr. Jordan decided to at once get in touch with Mr. Lucas and pay up the 
back rent, so he could give his guests some shooting. Mr. Peabody, who was 




a lawyer, at once started to see Mr. Lucas. He returned the next day, having 
paid up $800.00 in back rent and brought a letter to Pepper to allow us to 
shoot. We at once made preparation for a big shoot the next day. We went 
ashore and all five of us shot in Ocean Pond in three blinds, two in two 
blinds and one in the third. It was a constant cannonade and each blind 
spoiled the shooting of the others every time a gun was fired. Nevertheless, 
each blind produced about fifty ducks and between 150 and 200 birds were 
killed — all mallards. 

Mr. Lucas greatly desired to sell Big Murphy to Mr. Jordan and named a 
price of $22,500.00. Mr. Jordan had the feeling that Santee Club matters 
had been misrepresented to him and that he had not been informed of the run- 
down condition of the Club, its debts and lapsed leases. Under the circum- 
stances he felt no compunction in buying the Big Murphy property for himself; 
which he did. After getting the property he entered into negotiations with 
Captain Garden and the other members, with a view of making a reorganization 
of the Club. 

The exact details of this reorganization are not known, but in general Mr. 
Jordan agreed to furnish ten new members, and throw in as his and the con- 
tribution of the ten new members, the Big Murphy Island. The other mem- 
bers agreed to pay off all old debts of the Club and to turn in Blake's Planta- 
tion, Ormond Hall and Little Murphy Island. 

The ten members from Boston put into the Club by Mr. Jordan were as 

* John Bryant t B. Nason Hamlin 
f H. H. Carter * Robert Jordan 

* J. H. Hutchins * Harry Dutton 
t Francis Peabody, Jr. * N. C. Nash 

* H. E. Russell * H. N. Richards 

(*) indicates deceased. (t) indicates share sold. (|) indicates still a member. 



The lease of Fairfield and the old Club House was abandoned. A new 
Constitution and By-Laws were adopted and the membership of the new Club 
limited to 40. Since 1900 a score book has been kept of the shooting and all 
shooting is a matter of record. 

The Club boat "Gardenia," acquired in 1899, was an old steam boat with 
a paddle wheel in the stern. It served as a club house until 1902 when the 
present house was finished. The new club house was built under difficult cir- 
cumstances. The contractor found he was losing money and it was rumored 
that when he desired to throw up the whole business and leave, he and his 
men were kept at work by Captain Garden armed with a pistol. The present 
location of the Club House was the subject of long debate. One faction, on 
the claim that the Santce Club was almost exclusively a duck club, wanted to 
locate the house in the woods near Black Point Pond on Big Murphy Island. 
This faction was out-voted and the present Club House site selected. 

CL-UB BOAT Happy days 


In 1904 a survey of the boat "Gardenia" showed she was a mere shell (see 
report in Club Record, November 20, 1904), and was bored through and 
through by teredos, and it therefore became necessary to buy a new boat. 
This brought on a heated discussion. Some members wanted a "fast dispatch 
boat." Others a modern boat with more speed than the old "Gardenia," but 
with sleeping accommodations and cooking facilities. Captain Isaac Emerson, 
a member of the Club, was appointed as a committee to decide the matter. 
The result was a boat with sleeping and cooking accommodations and a speed 
of about eight miles per hour. The boat was designed to use gasolene, and 


on paper looked like a satisfactory boat. After the hull oi this boat ("Happy 
Days") was completed, it was decided to make a steamboat of her and burn 
wood for fuel. To do this necessitated a very large and heavy boiler and 
engine. This boiler and engine were put in the boat without changing the 
hnes of the hull. The result was the boat was so low in the water that the 
deck at the stern only cleared the water by six inches. It took four months 
to bring the boat from New York to Santee as it was not safe to proceed 
except in a calm. This boat was satisfactory after arrival at Santee, but was 
very expensive to run as she required a duplicate set of house servants in 
addition to the crew. 

This boat lasted until 1925 when the yearly increased expense on repairs 
and the regular expense of running the boat became too heavy, and a new boat 
was purchased. A stock boat of the EIco Boat Co. was purchased, thirty-five feet 
long, named "Happy Days," and is now running. After the purchase of this 
boat, breakfast and lunch were eaten at the Club House instead of on the boat. 

In 1907 Mr. Jordan presented the Club with the launch "Widgeon" which 
boat is still in excellent condition and in daily use. In 1925 Messrs. C. S. and 
D. L. Hebard presented the Club with the boat which is now named the 
"Gardenia." This boat was extensively altered over to suit the Club purposes 
and is now in daily use. 

On the reorganization of the Club in 1900, Mr. Dupree, a neighboring 
planter, was appointed superintendent. On April 15, 1905, Mr. Dupree was 
replaced by our present efficient superintendent, Mr. L. A. Beckman, who was 
a rice planter at Blackwood. Mr. Charles Mills, a professional market hunter, 
was appointed Chief Guide in 1898. He was a natural duck man and knew 
all about ducks and the marsh. As a market shooter, he once shot forty-three 
mallards with one barrel in a creek on Big Murphy. Mills was very deaf, and 
in a turkey blind when acting as guide, conveyed his instructions by signs. 
This may have accounted for the numerous hard-luck stories told by members 
who returned to the Club House, having "missed the turkey." Mills' son Eli 
acted as Assistant Head Guide for many years and now is Head Guide at the 
Kinloch Plantation. He knew the marsh thoroughly and was courageous enough 
to tackle armed poachers when he caught them in the marsh. 

Many discussions have arisen concerning the number of ducks frequenting 
the Club marshes in 1900 as compared with the present time (1933). It is 
certain there has been a very great decrease. The duck food area of the Santee 
deltas has tremendously decreased. In 1900 and for many years after, there 
were very large rice plantations on both Santee rivers. Beginning at about our 
Club House on the south side of the river, the rice fields extended up river for 
miles. Messrs. Doar, Lucas, Lowndes, Rutledge, Seabrooke, Graham and many 
others raised rice. On the north side of the river Mr. Beckman and others 








NOV. II909 ^^ 

HH Garter 



CornGrisi. [_J 
Fidds. ^"; 


■Woods. 3S 

SoivlfiYtD -.. DB,>».w^< Wi-ttT 





Feb. 1929 

raised rice at Blackwood, Fanny Meade, Tranquility and many other plantations. 
Ducks fed in these fields at night and at daybreak flew down to our shallow, 
brackish and salt water ponds near the ocean beach. Ocean Pond, Black Point, 
Beach Pond, Wood's Pond, Graveyard, Coy, Peter and many others were 


crowded with ducks during the day. They came down from the fields where they 
had fed all night in order to play and rest in the shallow salt water ponds. 
No duck food to speak of existed in these ponds. Thousands and thousands 
of ducks passed down the river at daybreak and returned up river at night. 
It was seldom one saw any ducks on entering a pond at daybreak. Now the 
whole situation has changed. There are now no extensive rice fields up river. 
Ducks still feed up river but to a less extent. By the manipulation of dams 
and trunks, our marshes have been changed from salt water marshes to fresh 
water or brackish marshes. Duck food in these marshes has been cultivated 
and now there are many beach and marsh ponds with duck food in them. The 
result is that many ducks stay in these ponds day and night and feed and play 
there. Formerly there were no laws about shooting ducks. No "limit." This 
must be taken into consideration when bags of 1900 are compared with present 
bags. Frequently very large bags could be obtained even now, if there was no 
law about the number to be shot. In the early days of the Club, members quit 
at noon as they do now. Most members had tin or wooden shell boxes, and if 
a good blind had been drawn and weather conditions looked good, a member 
usually filled his shell box and also slipped a few extra shells in his pocket. 
He then stayed in the blind until twelve o'clock or until his shells were shot 
away, which frequently happened by 10.30 A. M. 

A day's shooting in 1933 may be of interest. Five men were at the Club. 
They had had a successful duck shoot in the morning, each man getting his limit. 
After the usual pleasant luncheon, a snipe drive in River Row Fields yielded 
47 birds. 

A iSoa BAG . 



The gunners were returning on the cross bank beside Brick Mill Rice Field 
when a big buck was reported as having dodged into the thicket between the 
Landing and the Club House. Everyone was excited, particularly the boys 
because Superintendent Beckman promised each boy 25c if the buck was jumped, 
and 50c if a shot was fired. 

There was much scurrying around for shells, and the gunners were then 
strung out on various stands and the boys ordered in. Such whooping and yelling 
was never heard. Big doings. The nine-point buck which was shot was a 
real beauty. 

The Secretary says that our experienced guides who have been on the marshes 
daily for many years report that ducks were more plentiful this season than for 
five years. 

In 1918 a U. S. Law was passed limiting the number of ducks shot daily 
to 25. The law in 1933 limits the number to 12. 

About the year 1900 the following were the principal duck ponds used by 

1 Black Point 7 Boggy 

*2 Peter *8 Coy 

3 Eagle's Grave 9 Ocean 

4 Graveyard *10 Point Stand 
*5 Beach *11 The Slough 
*6 Goose *12 Mallard 

1 3 Palmetto 

(*) indicates ponds now grown up and abandoned (1933). 

At the end of the Civil War there was left on Big Murphy Island a herd 
of cattle. These cattle gradually became wild and afforded good sport in hunt- 
ing them. Usually members took to trees on well-known run-ways and the 
guide drove the cattle by them. Several members who failed to take to trees 
before the drive commenced, were glad to reach them when charged by furious 
bulls. Mr. I. E. Emerson was one who narrowly escaped injury. These cattle 
were ordered by the U. S. authorities about 1928 to be "dipped" and dis- 
infected. As it was impossible to comply with this law, the cattle were killed. 
A few attempts were made to eat the meat. The guides could eat it, but it 
was too strong for the Club members. The meat tasted like marsh sedge. The 
following interesting account of a bull hunt will be found in the Club Record 
book, April 1, 1902, by Mr. Hamlin. 

"Mr. Dupree came aboard early with his hounds and we roamed over Cedar 
Island— saw some deer tracks. Enjoyed a most delightful walk through the 



live oak road by the old summer houses, now in decay, to the sand dunes 
against which dashed the ever restless waves of the broad Atlantic. 

"After luncheon a start was made for what turned out to be the most exciting 
wild bull chase on record. A tramp to the further end of Big Murphy dis- 
covered a herd of fifteen cattle grazing far out on the marshes. Mr. Dupree 
volunteered to alone go out and start them in. When they caught sight of him 
the entire herd made straight for him and had he not stepped aside they surely 
would have trampled him to death. The onlookers— strong men all — wept in 
sheer fright. Mr. Dupree wounded a yearling as the herd rushed past and the 
men stationed on the edge of the wood gave chase merrily — the herd was fol- 
lowed by the track of the wounded calf and put in flight again in a quarter of 
an hour. By a short cut over a knoll Mr. Hamlin succeeded in sending a bullet 
just behind the shoulder of the leading bull, Mr. Robert Jordan immediately 
giving him a charge of 00 shot. By nimble hurdling Mr. Hamlin managed to 
get a second shot, as the first had taken severe effect, and in about 200 yards 
the bull came to earth — but, rising, was at bay in a dense thicket from which 
he was at the point of charging his pursuers when four rounds of buckshot 

from Mills' gun toppled him over. The entire party was summoned by horn 
and shouts and midst general rejoicing his (the bull's) picture was taken with 
his pleasantest expression. The chase was continued by most of the party and 
many shots were made but no further 'kills'." 

Before 1918 when a law was passed prohibiting wood duck shooting, good 
sport was obtained every evening by shooting them on a pass about one-half 
mile west of the Club House. The ducks spent the daytime in the "Reserve" 



and at sunset they took flight and crossed a certain place in the road west of 
the Club House, and continued on across the South Santee River to some place 
unknown. There is still a nightly flight, but the law prevents shooting wood 

Snipe shooting was found on old rice fields on "the Cape" about one mile 
from the Club House. The snipe were walked up and as the marsh was soft, 
it was laborious shooting. About 10 years ago the fields northwest of the 
Club House were prepared and the snipe were driven to the gunners who were 
posted at intervals on the "banks." There also was good dove shooting near 
the Club House, but over-shooting has greatly reduced the number of doves. 

The map of the ponds on the property was prepared by enlarging the regular 
U. S. Coast survey chart on the scale of 1 to 80,000 to the scale of the map, 
1 to 20,000. The method was to locate by compass bearings from creek 
entrances, houses, or anything else on the U. S. chart along the Santee River 
and Alligator Creek, various prominent objects in the marsh, such as high 
trees in the woods, "woody islands" on the marsh, stakes, or anything else 
that could probably be seen from the ponds and canals desired to be located. 
Then cross compass bearings from the ponds to these known marks enabled 
the ponds to be located. The canals and creeks had to be located by pocket 
compass courses and estimated distances, as the guide paddled the surveyor. 


Nov. 1931 


These methods are, of course, crude. Nevertheless a fair idea of the ponds, 
canals and creeks and woods has been obtained. Probably all ponds are shown 
within 400 feet of their real location. 

In 1925 Messrs. C. M. Clark, D. B. Wentz, C. S. Hebard, F. T. Patterson, 
D. E. Pomeroy, I. T. Starr and W. L. McLean gave to the Club, the cost of an 
extension of bed-rooms, amounting to $3,100.00, and paid for the expense of 
installing a system of plumbing whereby every bed-room in the house was 
supplied with wash basins and hot and cold water. 

An electric light system and radio set were put in in 1923 at the expense 
of the above-mentioned members. A shower bath was also contributed by 
Mr. Jay Cooke, member of the Club. 

The house is now one of the most luxurious and comfortable in the country 
for shooting purposes. 

The part of Cedar Island, now shot over, was acquired at an expense of 

In addition to the properties before mentioned as being incorporated into 
the Club, the following have since been acquired: 

Blackwood and other plantations, which were originally bought from Mr. 
L. A. Beckman by Mr. E. D. Jordan as a private shooting place, were acquired in 
1925 by the Club at an expense of $4,000.00. 

Mazyck plantation, owned by Messrs. Hoyt, Fish and Fleitman (members 
of the Club) and used by them as a private shooting place, was acquired by the 
Club in 1924 at an expense of $11,000.00. 

The Santee Club now owns about twenty-five thousand acres of marshes, ponds 
and creeks, practically the entire area on both sides of the South Santee River 
for seven miles from its mouth; the home of black mallard, sprigtail, teal and all 
the larger marsh ducks during the winter migration; also surrounding the Club 
House, between five or six thousand acres of pine land with old rice fields adjoin- 
ing. Good snipe and deer shooting; also quail, woodcock, wild turkey and 
doves are found in these woods. 

On the original Blakes plantation, on the Santee Club grounds, there is an 
extensive reservoir. This reservoir was made to conserve water to irrigate the 
rice fields. A fresh water creek, entering the South Santee River, was dammed 
up about a mile from the present Club House and a reservoir was created 
running back from the dam, about four miles. The reservoir is full of cypress 
trees covered with moss and is a weird and beautiful sight. In this area is the 
second largest colony of egrets in the United States. A census some years 
ago showed about five hundred of these beautiful birds. The Club has for 
several years gone to considerable expense in protecting these birds. This pro- 


tection has also involved some danger to the watchmen, as the value of the 
feathers is so great that poachers are willing to take desperate chances to 

VvASHO RL^LRVl. Jan. 1932 

secure them. This reservoir, known as the "Reserve," is the sanctuary in winter 
of thousands of mallards at certain stages of the water level. No shooting of 
ducks is allowed in the Reserve, and it is kept as a sanctuary. 

I:ARLY history of the SANTEE club 21 

This Reserve Sanctuary and the Nesting Colony of Egrets are quite famcjus 
and attract a considerable number of visitors. One <jf these visitors, in the 
spring of 1933, noticed numerous turkey buzzards in the trees over the egrets' 
nests and several times saw buzzards drop down on the nests, pick up the young 
birds, and drop or kick them out of the nests into the water. 

The following account by Col. Henry May, an original member of the Club, 
is of interest: 

"President Cleveland went to Santee on his private car with Admiral Evans 
and several others, including myself, all after sport. When we went to his blind 
we got out the big boat, which was built for the President. Getting into the 
blind was a feat. The darkey guide and myself boosted him out of the mud, 
which was a job — 265 pounds and deep mud. As I held my fire out of 
respect, he insisted that I should shoot at all ducks on my side of the blind. 
'Play fair,' he said. We had a fine shoot and were all pleased. The yacht, 
'Water Lily," on which we lived was a sight to see when we left. The members 
had loaded her with deer on decks, wild turkeys on pilot-house, several dozen 
snipe and woodcock. A yacht of game. The 'Water Lily,' a government 
vessel, was most comfortable. My berth was foot to foot with President 
Cleveland's. When we turned in he said, 'Colonel, get to sleep quick before 
me.' Afraid I might fancy he would snore, but he didn't. He was jolly and 
most interesting. 

"Experiences: Out for stalking deer with my express rifle; barked a gray 
squirrel with white feet and white tail, brought it to the taxidermist in Wash- 
ington, who said he had never seen one like it. There was no mark on it — 
just killed by concussion. He stated he had lost it (probably sold it). First 
experience in blind for wild turkeys; a big gobbler landed some ten yards 
from blind, began to feed. 

"I was reading just then. Picked up my gun and was immediately taken with 
turkey fever. I shook like an Eastern Shore chill. I put down the gun O. K. 
The moment I touched it, a chill again; so I arose and told Mr. Gobbler to 
beat it, which he did. Not so remarkable, as one of our members on a deer 
drive, hid behind a tree, and then a big buck came and looked at him. A 
remark by a member that I slaughtered turkeys came when three flew over my 
head. I dropped two and then killed the third. 

"A charming set of members full of sport and ready to arise at 5 o'clock, 
after bridge till midnight. The dove flights and woodcock season was the joy 
of Admiral Brownson. I killed twenty-six one morning in less than an hour. 
I regret so many of my friends have departed this life. I hope they will find 
a Santee in the other hunting grounds." 



Ivers S. Adams, Hardwick, Mass. ''^■^' 

James D. Black, Jobstown, N. J. 

Henry H. Carter, 99 Chauncy St., Boston, Mass. '»««■-■ 

E. Gerry Chadwick, 23 West 26th St., New York, N. Y. 

C. M. Clark, 1531 Locust St., Philadelphia, Pa. 

J. Dudley Clark, 60 State St., Boston, Mass. -i 

Carl P. Dennett, 80 Federal St., Boston, Mas^. 

H. P. Glendinning, Packard Bldg., 15th and Chestnut Sts. 

R. Wistar Harvey, 226 South 19th St., Philadelphia, Pa. — 

Oliver C. Hoyt, 250 Park Ave., New York, N. Y. 

Ralph H. Knode, Bryn Mawr, Pa. 

William A. Law, Sixth and Walnut Sts., Philadelphia, Pa. 

Malcolm Lloyd, Jr., 701 Commercial Trust Bldg., Philadelphia, Pa. 

George D. Macbeth, Charleroi, Pa. 

Wm. Clarke Mason, 135 South Broad St., Philadelphia, Pa. 

Charles G. Meyer, 62 William St., New York, N. Y. 

Marshall S. Morgan, 135 South Broad St., Philadelphia, Pa. 

Robert McLean, Bulletin Building, Philadelphia, Pa. 

William L. McLean, Jr., Bulletin Bldg., Philadelphia, Pa. 

Daniel E. Pomeroy, 230 Park Ave., New York, N. Y. t A 

B. B. Reath, 2nd, 12i^iith. Fifth St., Philadelphia, V&. 3 / f ffoi^^Uilf' Ct 

George W. B. Roberts, 1806 DcLancey Place, Philadelphia, Pa. ^ 

Horatio S. Shonnard, Harrietta Plantation, Santee, S. C. ''«» 

Phineas W. Sprague, 10 Post Office Square, Boston, Mass. 

Floyd T. Starr, Laverock, Chestnut Hill, Pa. 

Horace C. Stebbins, 20 East 82nd St., New York, N. Y. 

Dr. E. Winslow Taylor, Station Z, Queen Lane, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Paul Thompson, 1510 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pa. 

Edward L. Welsh, 304 Walnut St., Philadelphia, Pa.— «* 

Richard D. Wood, 512 Walnut St., Philadelphia, Pa. 


3 5197 00143120 7 




Gaylord Bros., Inc. 

' Makers 
Syracuse, N. Y. 

PAT. JAN 2i, 1908